Buy the ticket, take the ride; but for Coachella?

Coachella is an annual music festival, that started in 1999. Photo courtesy of DeviantArt.

From the anticipation for the announcement of lineups, hype surrounding outfits and makeup, and social media posts that happen during Coachella weekend is an annual occurrence. Starting in 1999 and continuing annually, the power of music versus the status of attending this otherworldly event has been blurred.  

The first weekend of Coachella is from April 12 to the 14 and the second weekend is from April 19 to the 21. According to Billboard, ticket passes are divided into three tiers and priced from $500 to $600 for general admission, $1,200 to $1,800 for VIP and camping passes start at $149. 

Hence the question: is it worth it? Mia Smith, concert photographer, speaks about this cultural phenomenon that strikes every year.  

“When having a band that big at a festival should’ve been monumental, but instead it was underwhelming, due to the audience there,” Smith said. “It seems the focus is less on the music than it used to be, and more on trendy outfits and participating on advertising their brand.”  

Itzel Lerma, music and concert enthusiast, has her fair share of input on Coachella and its worth on a deeper level.  

“On average people are spending max- $5000, including tickets, stay, and transportation, which if you think about it is not bad considering you’re seeing about 7-10 artists a day, give or take. But there’s a lot to the organization that I don’t agree with.” Lerma said.  

Lerma also gave advice on Coachella’s parking situation, as any given parking scenario that plays out for any other concert says it is all a struggle. She says water is another concern. 

“I think there needs to be a lot more water stations. It’s a massive site, VIP generally gets closer access to water which in my opinion is unfair and inhumane.” Lerma said.  

Lerma says she believes everyone has the right to experience Coachella in all its glory.  

“However, way too often, have seen a lot of these influencers buy tickets for media purposes and they end up not using them, which is unfair to those who saved up and still couldn’t get their tickets.” Lerma said.  

In essence, Coachella can be worth it but to each their own. Coachella is not cheap, and if a person can financially afford it, go for it. but for the right reasons.  

“The organizers should acknowledge these concerns and fix it to better the experience of those that spend thousands to be there with their favorite artists.” Lerma said. 

From a concert fanatic, myself, there are many reasons as to why a fan  attends, but invest and devote the time and energy to feeling and experiencing events like Coachella.  Devaluing such a moment as Coachella, for only it to become a money grab, status quo and a camping ground for any and all “influencers.” I, for one, believe Coachella had more to offer than just becoming “the influencer olympics.”  

I always say, money is temporary, the experience is everlasting; but for Coachella? I will stick to tours and hometown concerts. Something to keep in mind: if it’s worth it, the music will invoke movement; it’s better to go for it, than to regret it later.  

Dominique Macias is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected].