What are your Fourth of July festivities?

New joint program is guiding the future for health care students

Photo courtesy of UTEP Newsfeed. UTEP President Heather Wilson and Texas Tech President Richard Lange welcome the class of 2024 MedFuture Cohort.

Endless academic opportunities continue to flow into the El Paso community. One of the most recent is the MedFuture Cohort, a partnership between UTEP and Texas Tech El Paso. MedFuture Cohort allows for recent high school graduates to attend UTEP under the Prep program to provide pre-med support in their undergraduate education. Then, after completing their degree, students are accepted into Texas Tech Foster School of Medicine.

El Pasoans Adolpho R. and Deborah L. Telles are funding the cohort. With a strong passion to support future health care heroes in El Paso, the Telles Family Scholarship is awarding $50,000 to both current and incoming MedFuture students. Additionally, the KPMG Foundation, a previous partner of Adolpho Telles, matched the scholarship money, bringing the total to $100,000.

In 2024, the second group of MedFuture students were announced. Through a joint committee, five El Paso high school seniors were selected to be a part of the program: Lonzo Shelley, Rayce Shamaley Korz, Grethel Olvera, Gerardo Garcia, and Crystal Armenta, who all have a passion for science and medicine.

UTEP President Heather Wilson, President of Texas Tech Health El Paso Richard Lange, and the Telles recognized them in June.

“Our first group of MedFuture students is well on their way towards earning a degree and I’m proud to be welcoming our second group,” Wilson said. “With the rigorous education and research opportunities available to them at UTEP and the great experience they’ll get at the Foster School of Medicine, I know they will become unstoppable doctors changing healthcare in our community.”

According to the UTEP Newsfeed, the joint program is the first of its kind in West Texas. Passionate students, who are on their way to becoming future health care professionals, are starting their education here in El Paso. As more opportunities arise, more and more students aren’t letting cost get in the way of their degrees.

Sofia Sierra is the web and copy editor and may be reached at [email protected].