Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

Niesha Burgher sprints for the gold at the Paris Olympics

Photo courtesy of UTEP Athletics. Niesha Burgher, along with other UTEP alumni, will travel to Paris to compete in the 2024 Olympics.

The same year that saw Niesha Burgher take home Conference USA’s Track and Field Athlete of the Year will now see Burgher join the long list of UTEP Track and Field athletes to compete in the Olympics.

Burgher, who competed in one of the most elite trials in the world, set a personal best in her quest to chase history in Paris. 

She recently graduated from UTEP and ran in the Jamaican trials, running in the 200-meter race while posting a time of 22.39 seconds. Finishing behind 2022 world champion and 2020 Tokyo Olympics bronze medalist, Sherika Jackson, who posted a 22.29 time.

The Western Texas College transfer succeeded in the Conference USA Championships and took home 4 gold medals in the events and was named All-American second team after a season that saw her run in nationals as well as help set a school record in the 4 x 400-meter relay race.

Burgher joins fellow UTEP student athletes Loubna Benhaja, who will be representing her home country Algeria in the 400-meter hurdles, as well as UTEP alums Jevaughn Powell and Sean Bailey, who will be running in the 400-meter race for Jamaica. 

The Olympics are set to start July 26, and as Burgher trailblazes her way to Paris she looks to maintain the moment she created during her outstanding senior year at UTEP.

Jorge Guajardo is the sports editor and may be reached at [email protected].