Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

Glimpsing into the 2024 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition

SalmaPaola Baca
The Rubin Center invites renowned graphic design and fine arts professionals to jury the exhibition and award prizes in each medium.

The Stanlee and Gerald Rubin Center for the Visual Arts presented the 2024 Annual Juried UTEP Student Art Exhibition from May 10 to July 11. 

The art exhibition represents all media taught in the Department of Art at UTEP, showcasing paintings, sculptures, drawings, ceramics, metals, graphic design, and printmaking. The exhibit provides students with a platform for their artistic expression while fostering creativity and skills nurtured in the department.

The exhibition features an array of themes that resonate with contemporary issues and personal narratives. While showcasing the student body’s artistic expression, viewers can find pieces that address gun violence, violence against women, sexuality and more.

The student art exhibition is juried by internationally recognized professionals, including illustrator, designer, and educator Martin French and independent curator Annette Dimeo Carlozzi. The exposure to prestige and professionalism encourages innovation among participant students. 

The pieces in the show were made only by students in the UTEP Fine Arts Department. The 2024 exhibition is the first to showcase all forms of media, art, and style, reflecting the diversity, creativity, and personal narratives of the student body.

From graphic design to metalwork, each piece tells a story that invites viewers to explore each unique experience expressed and perspectives in any form of art.

Leslie Ulloa-Pollock is the Assistant Exhibitions Preparator at the Rubin Center.  She has two pieces in the student exhibition, a stool piece titled “Nina” and a collaborative piece.

“Nina” is not just a piece of art but a personal expression of Ulloa-Pollock’s experiences growing up on the border of El Paso and Ciudad Juárez. It reflects her biracial identity and the unique cultural blend of the two cities, providing an insight into her life and heritage.

“It is an expression of how I felt as a child here in El Paso and being joined with Juárez as well because I was raised both here and there,” Ulloa-Pollock said.

Itzel Galvan, an Exhibitions Intern at the Rubin Center, urges everyone to attend the 2024 student exhibition before it closes on July 11. Galvan highlights the exhibit as a fun summer activity where you can take photographs and learn about art inspired by different cultures and backgrounds. 

“I feel it’s a really nice thing to do during the summer,” Galvan said.

The reflection of emotions, heritage, and cultural identity is presented through art like fashion-inspired creations, paintings, and sculptures.

The 2024 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition leaves a lasting impression of creativity and the potential emerging from UTEP students, serving as both an educational and entertainment experience with opportunities for community engagement. 

This exhibition embodies the diversity and artistic exploration of students while inspiring dialogue through creative expression. More than a celebration of art; it is a celebration of UTEP’s multicultural community and the uniqueness of how art is a story being told.

Frida Acuna is the arts & culture editor and may be reached at [email protected].