What are your Fourth of July festivities?

A guide to Fourth of July: Celebrating and Safety

Photo courtesy of rawpixel. Though Fourth of July festivities are fun, safety should be the top priority.

Fireworks in the night sky, cookouts, and everything decked out in red, white, and blue are a few things you can find this Independence Day. Here’s a few ideas of how to celebrate it and stay safe while doing it.

Although popping fireworks on the Fourth of July is something people can’t get enough of, safety is a top priority compared to anything else.

A Quick Fireworks Safety Memo from The Prospector:

• Be aware of where you pop fireworks. It is recommended to avoid areas with flammable hazards, like bushes, trees, and small enclosed spaces.
  • Never point fireworks at anyone. Although you may think it is funny in the moment, the aftermath is not.
  • Keep your distance from fireworks after lighting them, in case something goes wrong.

Although fireworks are banned for a majority of the county this year, besides the City of Socorro, stands will be open across the city available for purchase, here are a few locations:

• Eastside along Montana
  • The Stateline in Chaparral
  • Horizon Blvd.  
  • Vista Quality Market, 10005 Alameda Ave.
  • Somos Church, 3701 N. Zaragoza Rd.

There will also be events across the city for you and your family to chill out and enjoy the festivities.

If you’re looking to see a firework show, the El Paso Chihuahuas will host two firework shows to celebrate the holiday on July 3-4 at Southwest University Stadium with doors opening at 6:35 p.m. The team will be playing the Alburquerque Isotopes and will showcase limited edition Fourth of July merchandise.

The El Paso Symphony Orchestra will also have their own event happening July 4 at 6:00 p.m., in which they will perform in the “Pop Goes the Fort” concert. Fireworks will follow the event, and the event is free of charge.

If you’re looking to spend your Fourth of July on the more festive side, the fourth annual Red White and Brew Firework Show, hosted at Painted Dunes Desert Golf Course, 12000 McCombs St., will be July 3 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. The event will include live music, water slides, jumping balloons, and fireworks in the evening, perfect for family fun. General admission tickets will be available online for $5.

The Shoppes at Solana will also host a similar event July 4, from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m. and will include live music, food trucks, vendors, and games. Fireworks will go off at 9 p.m.

Keep in mind, be smart and stay safe this Independence Day, and have fun.

Iziah Moreno is the photo editor and may be reached at [email protected].